Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is a Japanese anime series, based on the manga series Kimetsu no Yaiba written by Koyoharu Gotōge and published in Weekly Shōnen Jump. The anime was produced by animation studio Ufotable, with Haruo Sotozaki directing. The series premiered in Japan on April 6, 2019 and airs on 20 total channels including Tokyo MX, Gunma TV, Tochigi TV, and BS11.
Aniplex of America obtained the North American rights to the series and produced an English dub, announcing at Anime Expo 2019 that the series would air on Adult Swim's Toonami in the Fall of 2019. The series premiered on Toonami on October 12, 2019 and completed its run on May 2, 2020. Reruns returned to Toonami from October 10, 2020 to May 1, 2021. The series is unlikely to return to Toonami, according to Jason DeMarco, because the movie Demon Slayer: Mugen Train's unexpectedly high American box office performance has caused the licensors to raise the price. The series is rated TV-14-V and TV-MA-LV on Adult Swim.
Since ancient times, rumors have abounded of man-eating demons lurking in the woods. Because of this, the local townsfolk never venture outside at night. Legend has it that a demon slayer also roams the night, hunting down these bloodthirsty demons. For young Tanjiro, these rumors will soon become his harsh reality...
Ever since the death of his father, Tanjiro has taken it upon himself to support his family. Although their lives may be hardened by tragedy, they've found happiness. But that ephemeral warmth is shattered one day when Tanjiro finds his family slaughtered and the lone survivor, his sister Nezuko, turned into a demon. To his surprise, however, Nezuko still shows signs of human emotion and thought. Thus begins Tanjiro's quest to fight demons and turn his sister human again.
|Color||Season||Episodes||Toonami Premiere||Toonami Finale|
|1||26||October 12, 2019||May 2, 2020|
The series premiered in Japan on April 6, 2019 and aired on 20 total channels including Tokyo MX, Gunma TV, Tochigi TV, and BS11. The series is also streaming on Hulu, Crunchyroll, and FunimationNOW. The theatrical version of the first five episodes of the series was previously screened in 11 theaters in Japan for two weeks beginning on March 29, 2019.
Aniplex of America hosted the United States premiere of the theatrical version at the Aratani Theatre in Los Angeles on March 31, 2019. Demon Slayer premiered on Adult Swim's Toonami block from October 12, 2019 to May 2, 2020 and reruns returned to the block from October 10, 2020 to May 1, 2021.
- Japan (Tokyo MX) — April 6, 2019 - September 28, 2019
- Japan (Gunma TV) — April 6, 2019 - September 28, 2019
- Japan (Tochigi TV) — April 6, 2019 - September 28, 2019
- Japan (BS11) — April 6, 2019 - September 28, 2019
- United States (Adult Swim) — October 12, 2019 - May 2, 2020; October 10, 2020 - May 1, 2021
Toonami Broadcast History
Demon Slayer premiered on Adult Swim's Toonami on October 12, 2019 at 1:30 AM. On February 8, 2020, the series moved to the 12:30 AM time slot. The series concluded its run on Toonami on May 2, 2020 and was replaced in the lineup by Mob Psycho 100. Reruns returned to Toonami on October 10, 2020 at 3:00 AM, replacing Samurai Jack in the lineup. The series shifted to the 3:30 AM time slot on January 9, 2021. The series was removed from the lineup following the May 1, 2021 broadcast.
- "The demon was unleashed at Anime Expo! ". facebook.com/TOONAMI. July 4, 2019. https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/photos/a.1442483259375850/2179755588981943/. Retrieved on July 5, 2019.
- "Step beyond humanity, and cross into the realm of demons ". facebook.com/TOONAMI. September 12, 2019. https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/photos/a.1442483259375850/2227075624249939/. Retrieved on September 19, 2019.
- "Line up update 10.10.2020 ". facebook.com/TOONAMI. https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/photos/a.1442483259375850/2546410148983150/. Retrieved on October 1, 2020.
- "Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime to Air With English Dub on Toonami ". animenewsnetwork.com. July 4, 2019. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-07-04/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-anime-to-air-with-english-dub-on-toonami/.148615. Retrieved on July 5, 2019.
- "Not Netflix this time. The movie doing so well has made the price… uh… higher than we can afford, let’s say. ". twitter.com/Clarknova1/. January 28, 2022. https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1487244207899172864. Retrieved on January 29, 2022.
- "Yeeeeep ". twitter.com/Clarknova1/. April 3, 2022. https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1510746678638350339. Retrieved on April 28, 2022.
- "Aniplex of America Licenses We Never Learn: BOKUBEN, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime ". animenewsnetwork.com. April 2, 2019. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-04-02/aniplex-of-america-licenses-we-never-learn-bokuben-demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-anime/.145322. Retrieved on July 5, 2019.
- "Fire Force is finishing up its red-hot run on the Toonami lineup ". facebook.com/TOONAMI. January 23, 2020. https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/photos/a.1442483259375850/2343962099227957/. Retrieved on January 23, 2020.
- "Witness the final season of an epic series. ". facebook.com/TOONAMI. December 22, 2020. https://www.facebook.com/1440408039583372/posts/2613240268966804/. Retrieved on December 22, 2020.
|Cartoon Network (1997-2008)|
|Adult Swim (2012-Present)|