Ghost Planet Spaceship Absolution
|July 10, 1999|
|March 14, 2003|
|TOM 1, TOM 2, SARA|
The Ghost Planet Spaceship Absolution (GPS Absolution) was the first Cartoon Network intergalactic broadcast vehicle. It was bought by Moltar in order to explore new galaxies and, according to Episode 6 of The Intruder, the ship is an L-class Deep Space Explorer. Moltar chose a robot with A.I. named TOM to pilot the craft as well as the Toonami block.
The original Absolution, along with TOM, was ultimately destroyed by the space pirate Orcelot Rex in the Toonami comic, "Toonami Endgame." The ship was in service from July 10, 1999 to March 14, 2003.
Moltar bought the huge intergalactic vessel he dubbed the Ghost Planet Spaceship Absolution. After witnessing the heroic acts of a sentient robot named TOM in Toonami Swarm, Moltar recruited him to become the Toonami Operations Module, the pilot and maintenance droid of the Absolution. On July 10, 1999, both TOM and the Absolution made their debut during the first broadcast of Toonami's new late-night block, the Midnight Run. Afterwards TOM and the Absolution took over the broadcasting of the weekday afternoon Toonami block. Although part of the ship since its construction, it took TOM nearly a year aboard the Absolution before he fully unlocked the A.I. matrix known as SARA. In September 2000, TOM, SARA and the Absolution were almost destroyed because of the actions of a metal-eating creature that invaded the Absolution. Eventually, TOM planted explosive devices in the area where the Intruder was growing in order to remove the creature from the ship. He succeeded, but the entire starboard-engine of the Absolution went with the creature.
Although crippled with only one engine, the Absolution was able to reach the STAPOWER Construction Repair Station three lightyears away (after one month in real time), where it would briefly remain while continuing its broadcast. Although TOM had originally planned to replace the lost engine with another of the original model, STARPOWER Parts and Service informed him that the model had been recalled due to fluctuation and degradation issues (despite the fact the Absolution never experienced any with its own engines). With input from Toonami fans, TOM and SARA decided to replace their engines with two Talon ST engines. Afterwards, TOM and SARA resumed their journey throughout the galaxy, including a mission to save another spaceship (Lockdown) and a time when the Absolution was Trapped in Hyperspace by a mysterious villain named Swayzak. In the Toonami comic "Toonami: Endgame", the reign of the original Absolution came to an end after space pirate Orcelot Rex kidnapped SARA's main matrix processor and destroyed the vessel with a series of explosions.
The Absolution was a top-of-the-line nuclear-powered space vessel, possessing Hyperspace capabilities, fit for exploration of multiple universes and dimensons. However, after Moltar's purchase of the ship, the Absolution was primarily used as a mobile broadcasting station for Toonami. The Absolution was capable of directly transmitting signals to the Ghost Planet and any other terrestrial location.
The ship also came with its own onboard A.I. matrix (SARA) stored in the main onboard computer which could pilot the ship on its own. However, SARA wasn't fully activated until The Intruder. The ship had multiple decks which were accessible by an elevator going throughout the Absolution. Most of the ship and the broadcasting could be controlled by TOM or SARA on the bridge via the main computer (The main location shown on the Toonami block).
The ship also had one or multiple hangars which stored things like Jetpacks, the DOKs, and at least 1 Rocket powered motorcycle. The Absolution's original engines were destroyed by TOM 2 during The Intruder in order to remove the massive red blob that had attached itself the Absolution. Afterwards the old engines were replaced by Talon STs, as chosen by the audience during The Intruder.
The Absolution also had a media chamber, which was used by TOM for a few video game reviews and to send the ship into hyperspace for movie presentations. The media chamber hosts 6 large video monitors, a control panel and a large panoramic window. The media chamber also made several appearances in promos and the total immersion events Lockdown and Trapped in Hyperspace. Lockdown also introduced another room, the Observation Deck, a large room with a large machine that allowed TOM to view distant objects much more clearly.
Equipment on boardEdit
- Multiple Eisen Mark VIII Jetpacks — The Absolution is equipped with Eisen Mark VIII 2 cylinder jetpacks (turbo equipped). Which are first seen on the wall of the hangar during The Intruder but are also seen during the TOM 2 (2002) intro. The Mark VIII, created by the Eisen corporation, comes equipped with Vernier engines, a programmable address function, and can reach speeds of over mach 3. They are equipped with magnets in order to easily attach to TOM's back.
- Kiefer B-9 Pistol — The B-9 runs on a nuclear fusion reactor that requires replacement every 500 solar years. The phase range of its capabilities ranges from level 4 (stun) to level 9 (coma). Its blaster application is a mini-ion discharge, which is capable of delivering enough force to destroy 5 cubic feet of matter. First seen during The Intruder, TOM 1 initially equipped himself with a Kiefer B-9 in order to deal with the giant red blob invading the ship. It is unknown if any other pistols were onboard the Absolution.
- Kiefer A-1 Plasma Rifle — The A-1 has 3 main settings. The first is a laser blast, which is highly accurate to and beyond 1500 meters - yet is not extremely powerful. The second is a focused electron beam, which is almost strictly a short range weapon, but is extremely volatile and powerful enough to nullify some shields. The third is a photon grenade, which uses most of the power in the nuclear cell. This grenade is capable of destruction on a massive scale. First seen during The Intruder, After his first encounter with the Intruder ends in TOM being launched from the ship, he equips himself with the more powerful Kiefer A-1 to try to combat the giant red blob. However, all 3 settings prove ineffective against the Intruder.
- Explosive Charges — TOM used 2 of these charges to detach one of the engines, along with the Intruder, from the Absolution. These charges look like a briefcase when not set; however, once set they open to reveal the explosives and a timer.
- Electric Trident — In the "Toonami: Endgame" comic, TOM is seen with an electric trident-like weapon that he used to fend off the invading metal-eating monsters attacking the Absolution. Not much was explained about the weapon except for TOM commenting that he "always wanted to use it."
- Rocket Powered Motorcycle — In order to escape the collapsing Absolution to pursue SARA's kidnapper in the Toonami Endgame comic, TOM used what appeared to be a rocket-powered motorcycle.
- DOKs — an army of DOKs is first seen in the hangar of the Absolution at the beginning of Lockdown. During Lockdown, these DOKs were split into 3 teams and remote piloted by Toonami viewers to disable the tractor beam of the trash compactor holding the Absolution. The DOKs were last seen during Trapped in Hyperspace but were not used.
- Clyde 50s
- Miniature Rocket Ship — Was only seen during the intro to the Burnout review and a promo for the Flash game "Toonami: Test-track".
- During episode 6 of The Intruder, the Absolution is referred to as an L-class starship. However, on cartoonnetwork.com the ship was described as an M-class.
- In The Intruder episode 5, in the chamber that TOM 2 wakes up in, 4 total pods are seen. 1 open pod, 1 pod that holds TOM 2, and 2 unopened pods possibly containing other TOM bodies.
- ↑ "Jetpack ". cartoonnetwork.com. October 17, 2000. https://web.archive.org/web/20001017165726/http://www.cartoonnetwork.com:80/TOONAMI/intruder/flashback/drill/jetpacktext.swf. Retrieved on November 30, 2018.
- ↑ "Guns: (Pistol) Kiefer B-9 Pistol ". cartoonnetwork.com. October 17, 2000. https://web.archive.org/web/20001017210603/http://www.cartoonnetwork.com:80/TOONAMI/intruder/flashback/drillpast/pistoltext.swf. Retrieved on November 30, 2018.
- ↑ "Guns: (Rifle) Kiefer A-1 Plasma Rifle ". cartoonnetwork.com. October 17, 2000. https://web.archive.org/web/20001017232413/http://www.cartoonnetwork.com:80/TOONAMI/intruder/flashback/drill/rifletext.swf. Retrieved on November 30, 2018.
- ↑ "SARA Profile ". cartoonnetwork.com. October 17, 2000. https://web.archive.org/web/20001017150015/http://www.cartoonnetwork.com:80/TOONAMI/intruder/flashback/drill/saratext.swf. Retrieved on November 30, 2018.