Star Wars: The Clone Wars is an Emmy Award-winning American 3D CGI animated television series created by George Lucas and produced by Lucasfilm Animation with the division Lucasfilm Animation Singapore, Lucasfilm and CGCG Inc. Dave Filoni is the supervising director of the series. Genndy Tartakovsky, director of the first Clone Wars series, was not involved with the production, but character designer Kilian Plunkett referred to the character designs from the 2D series when designing the characters for the 3D series. The series premiered on Cartoon Network on October 3, 2008. The series is rated TV-PG-V on Cartoon Network and Adult Swim.
In March 2013, following the Disney acquisition of the Star Wars franchise, Lucasfilm announced that Star Wars: The Clone Wars would be "winding down". While new "story arcs" were still in development, the series was effectively cancelled; both to focus on the Star Wars sequel trilogy and because The Clone Wars was airing on a network owned by a major Disney competitor (Turner Broadcasting). Several storylines from The Clone Wars were later continued in the subsequent Disney XD animated series Star Wars Rebels.
A seventh season was announced on July 19, 2018, at the series' 10-year anniversary panel at San Diego Comic-Con. The new season, which spans 12 episodes, premiered on Disney Plus in February 2020. The season covers the siege of Mandalore, one of the final battles of the Clone Wars.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars follows the Republic’s clone army in their struggle against Count Dooku’s Separatist forces, and features fan-favorite characters like Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano, and Darth Maul. The series is set in the Star Wars universe, during the same time period as the previous 2D-animated Star Wars: Clone Wars micro-series (the three-year time period between the Star Wars films Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith).
Most of the characters from Star Wars Episodes 1-3 make appearances in the series, but most of the series is centered around the Jedi Knights and Separatist characters such as Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Count Dooku, etc. Some new characters were introduced such as Ahsoka Tano, Cad Bane, and many more.
|Obi-Wan Kenobi||James Arnold Taylor|
|Anakin Skywalker||Matt Lanter|
|Ahsoka Tano||Ashley Eckstein|
|Clone Troopers||Dee Bradley Baker|
|Battle Droids||Matthew Wood|
|Kit Fisto||Phil LaMarr|
|Adi Gallia||Angelique Perrin|
|Plo Koon||James Arnold Taylor|
|Eeth Koth||Chris Edgerly|
|Jocasta Nu||Flo DiRe|
|Barriss Offee||Meredith Salenger|
|Aayla Secura||Jennifer Hale|
|Tera Sinube||Gregory Baldwin|
|Shaak Ti||Tasia Valenza|
|Saesee Tiin||Dee Bradley Baker|
|Luminara Unduli||Olivia d'Abo|
|Mace Windu||Terrence Carson|
|Padmé Amidala||Catherine Taber|
|Jar Jar Binks||Ahmed Best|
|Mas Amedda||Stephen Stanton|
|Halle Burtoni||Jameelah McMillan|
|Riyo Chuchi||Jennifer Hale|
|Onaconda Farr||Dee Bradley Baker|
|Orn Free Taa||Phil LaMarr|
|Mon Mothma||Kath Soucie|
|Bail Organa||Phil LaMarr|
|Wilhuff Tarkin||Stephen Stanton|
|Gregar Typho||James C. Mathis III|
|Wullf Yularen||Tom Kane|
|Lux Bonteri||Jason Spisak|
|Rush Clovis||Robin Atkin Downes|
|Lott Dod||Gideon Emery|
|Count Dooku||Corey Burton|
|Nute Gunray||Tom Kenny|
|General Grievous||Matthew Wood|
|Darth Sidious||Ian Abercrombie|
|Wat Tambor||Matthew Wood|
|Satine Kryze||Anna Graves|
|Pre Vizla||Jon Favreau|
|Darth Maul||Sam Witwer|
|Savage Opress||Clancy Brown|
|Mother Talzin||Barbara Goodson|
|Asajj Ventress||Nika Futterman|
|Cad Bane||Corey Burton|
|Bossk||Dee Bradley Baker|
|Boba Fett||Daniel Logan|
|Jabba the Hutt||Kevin Michael Richardson|
|Hondo Ohnaka||Jim Cummings|
|Latts Razzi||Clare Grant|
|Aurra Sing||Jaime King|
|Cham Syndulla||Robin Atkin Downes|
|Todo 360||Seth Green|
|Ziro the Hutt||Corey Burton|
|Color||Season||Episodes||Season Premiere||Season Finale|
|1||22||October 3, 2008||March 20, 2009|
|2||22||October 2, 2009||April 30, 2010|
|3||22||September 17, 2010||April 1, 2011|
|4||22||September 16, 2011||March 16, 2012|
|5||20||September 29, 2012||March 2, 2013|
|6||13||February 15, 2014||March 7, 2014|
|7||12||February 21, 2020||May 4, 2020|
Seasons one through four consist of 22 episodes each and season five contains 20 episodes. A repeat of season one aired in "decoded" episode format. Each installment contained unobtrusive text windows giving supplemental information about the characters and events playing out on screen.
The first trailer for the series was released on the official Star Wars website on May 8, 2007. The series was launched with an animated feature film, which was released in theaters on August 15, 2008. Star Wars: The Clone Wars premiered on October 3, 2008 at 9 PM on Cartoon Network. On Cartoon Network the series was shown in a 16:9 (1.77:1) aspect ratio, cropped from its original aspect ratio (OAR) of 2.35:1 (as seen in the UK Sky Premiere screenings). The show began airing on Adult Swim on March 14, 2009, making the series the first Cartoon Network series to simultaneously air on both Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. Star Wars: The Clone Wars also aired from January 15, 2009 to March 26, 2009 on TNT, making it the first animated series aired on the channel in over a decade.
Season 2 aired on Cartoon Network from October 2, 2009 to April 30, 2010. Season 3 aired from September 17, 2010 to April 1, 2011. Season 4 aired from September 16, 2011 to March 16, 2012. An August 29, 2012 news release by the producers announced that the Season 5 premiere would be broadcast September 29, 2012 with episodes continuing weekly on Saturday mornings at 9:30 AM. Also announced was that Seasons 1 & 2 would be entering syndication in September 2012. It would be broadcast for the first time outside of the Turner Broadcasting System cable networks and for the first time over-the-air in the United States. A state-by-state list of local television stations and broadcast times was also released. Trifecta Entertainment and Media announced that they will be handling U.S distribution. Season 5 concluded on March 2, 2013.
In 2013, when The Walt Disney Company bought Lucasfilm, they announced that Star Wars: The Clone Wars would be cancelled to focus on the new Star Wars sequel trilogy and the new Star Wars Rebels animated series. In January 2014, a German TV network, Super RTL, issued a press release stating that the previously unaired final episodes of the series will be broadcast as a "sixth season" by the network starting on February 15, 2014. The press release also stated that each following week a block of several new episodes, covering a complete story arc, would be broadcast. The first story arc was broadcast on February 15, 2014. The sixth season episodes were made available for streaming on Netflix, along with the entirety of the series, beginning on March 7, 2014. On November 12, 2019, Disney launched its own online streaming service Disney+ that now hosts the complete series including a new 7th season which premiered on February 21, 2020.
- United States (Cartoon Network) - October 3, 2008 - 2013
- United States (TNT) - January 15, 2009 - March 26, 2009
- United States (Adult Swim) - March 14, 2009 - 2009; August 17, 2013 - September 20, 2014
- Germany (Super RTL) - February 15, 2014 - 2014
Toonami Broadcast History
In 2008, episodes of the first season were made available on Toonami's streaming site, Toonami Jetstream. However, the series never aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami block before its demise. The Clone Wars premiered on Adult Swim's Toonami block on August 17, 2013 at 3:00 AM, replacing Eureka Seven. On January 4, 2014, the series was moved to the 5:00 AM time slot where it stayed until the end of its run on September 20, 2014, after which it was replaced in the lineup by season 2 of The Big O. Initially the Toonami staff announced that they would be skipping some of the non-continuity (read: Jar Jar) episodes. However, of the 56 episodes aired, only 1 episode (episode 8) was actually skipped during its run on Toonami.
A series of web comics tied in with the animated series were published by StarWars.com, running from 2008 to 2011. Each week a new comic was revealed, often serving as a direct prequel to the related episode that aired that week. The series was discontinued in the fourth season. The comics were drawn by Jeffery Carlisle, Katie Cook, Grant Gould, Thomas Hodges and Daniel Falconer.
A separate monthly comic book series was created to tie-in to the animated series and was published by Dark Horse Comics. The first issue was released on September 10, 2008 and the series ran for 12 issues. Those issues were composed of two three-part stories, co-written by Henry Gilroy, the head writer for the first season of the animated series and series writer Steven Melching.
- "Clone Wars is Starting Saturday August 17th at 3am! ". toonami.tumblr.com. August 11, 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20131029080439/https://toonami.tumblr.com/post/57937938568/clone-wars-is-starting-saturday-august-17th-at. Retrieved on September 28, 2014.
- "October 4th Line Up ". toonami.tumblr.com. September 16, 2014. http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/97642970593/october-4th-line-up. Retrieved on June 29, 2015.
- "Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 2 Debuts Fall, 2009 ". newarama.com. February 9, 2009. http://www.newsarama.com/2194-star-wars-the-clone-wars-season-2-debuts-fall-2009.html. Retrieved on November 5, 2016.
- "STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS TRAILER SETS UP A MANDALORIAN-CENTRIC 7TH SEASON ". nerdist.com. JULY 19, 2018. https://nerdist.com/star-wars-the-clone-wars-trailer-season-7-sdcc/. Retrieved on JULY 19, 2018.
- "UPDATED: HERE’S EVERYTHING STAR WARS ON DISNEY+ ". starwars.com. December 26, 2019. https://web.archive.org/web/20191231190550/https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-disney-plus-november-12. Retrieved on January 27, 2020.
- "Star Wars: The Clone Wars season 7 has a release date and an epic new trailer ". gamesradar.com. January 22, 2020. https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-clone-wars-season-season-7-release-date/. Retrieved on January 27, 2020.
- ""Star Wars: The Clone Wars" Season 6 Coming February 2014 in Germany ". toonzone.net. January 24, 2014. http://www.toonzone.net/2014/01/star-wars-clone-wars-season-6-coming-february-2014-germany/. Retrieved on November 5, 2016.
- "January 4th 2014 A Day That Will Be Long Remembered ". toonami.tumblr.com. December 11, 2013. http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/69684718489/toonami-january-4th-2014-a-day-that-will-be. Retrieved on September 28, 2014.
- "Select Episodes Of The Clone Wars Re-Airing On Toonami ". theforce.net. July 31, 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20190730160503/http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Select_Episodes_Of_The_Clone_Wars_ReAiring_On_Toonami_153505.asp. Retrieved on January 27, 2020.
|Cartoon Network (1997-2008)|
|Adult Swim (2012-Present)|